The non-profit civil company called “ACADEMIC NETWORK” (GUnet) was founded in September 12th 2000. GUnet has its central office in Athens and its members are all the Higher Education and Academic Institutions (20 Universities and 16 TEI). The aims of the company are determined by the broadband network needs and objectives of the Greek academic community in the framework of Information Society aiming at servicing research and education. More specifically, some of the company’s aims are the following:
- The development, support and management of the academic network of all Universities and ATEI of the country
- The coordination in diffusion and promotion as well as the development of advanced network services and applications in the broad academic and research community of the country and via this the general improvement of the education and research processes
- The provision of network services to its members and third parties (institutes, foundations) whose activities aim at servicing research and education
- The participation in developmental, educational and research programs with regard to network technologies, services and applications aiming at the maintenance of the academic network at the peak of technology
- The development of collaborations with respective academic, research, educational networks of other countries
Given that all the institutions of higher education created the non-profit civil company GUnet, the latter has the ability to rely on and use the experience and the know-how of Network Operations Centers (NOC) of all institutions. These centers have successfully implemented in the past a significant number of projects, supplies and studies, while they actively participate in the processes regarding the determination and implementation of the GUnet’s actions and tasks.